If we don’t answer your questions here just give us a call on 1300 797 702 or contact us here.

Am I eligible?

As long as you hold an Australian passport, are between the ages of 18-35 years inclusive and have no criminal convictions (minor convictions may be admissible) you are eligible for the Work Ireland program. Show proof of having access to a minimum of $2,500 AUD and a return ticket, or $5,000 if with a one way ticket.

Can I apply if I am at university?

Yes you can apply for the Work Ireland program if you are at University. For the Ireland Working Holiday Authority you do not need to have student status to be eligible.

We do not recommend that you use your working holiday visa for Ireland over your summer holidays. The Ireland working holiday visa is only issued once in a lifetime, so we encourage you to make the most of the visa.

Do I have to be in Australia to apply for the visa?

Yes you must be resident in Australia during the application process.

Can I still travel to Ireland if I have a criminal conviction?

If you have a criminal conviction you may not be eligible for the visa. Minor offences may be admissible and you would been to obtain additional documents to support your application. If you do have any convictions the best thing to do is contact IEP so we can double check your eligibility.

Can I repeat or apply for an extension of the working holiday visa for Ireland?

Unfortunately you are not able to apply for an extension or repeat the Working Holiday Authority. They are issued only once in a lifetime and are only good for 12 months.


How do I apply for Work Ireland?

To apply all you need to do is visit here and fill out the required contact details and make the payment of $695. Once that is done we will be in touch to start on the Ireland Working Holiday Auhorisation as well as provide you with our expert travel materials.

If I go on the program, what do I get?

The Work Ireland program is full support. This means that before you even leave the country you will have assistance in obtaining the working holiday visa, access to our expert travel materials to prepare you for your trip and have the assistance from our staff to answer any questions you may have.

You will also be given access to our closed Facebook group where you can meet other travellers on the program! This is a great place to meet future flat mates, ask questions and see where others are working and travelling!

Upon arrival to Ireland you will have your initial accommodation booked at a hostel in Dublin. In Dublin, IEP has an inbound centre where you will attend an orientation in which our staff will; assist you in obtaining a tax file number & opening a bank account, review your CV format and help with finding work and accommodation. They can also help with travel and transportation, mobile phones, Canadian culture, tax and employment laws and much more!

The inbound centre are equipped with computers, internet, printers and phones. You will have access to up to date job postings and accommodation listings.

Our staff are there to provide you with the support and guidance you need to have a successful working holiday. If you are having problems finding work, feeling homesick, need assistance sorting your mobile phone whatever it is, we are there to help!

When should I apply?

At a minimum you should allow for 6 weeks. You can apply early and let us know when you want to depart. We will plan everything accordingly so you can leave when you want. It is also a great way to break up fees i.e. program fee, visa fee, insurance, flights.

When do I have to leave?

There is no set departure time for this program, so you leave when you want to. However you should be using the program within 12 months from with you apply with us. Once the visa has been issued you will have 12 months to enter Ireland and activate it.

Do I have to buy insurance through IEP?

As part of the terms and conditions of Work Ireland program, participants are required to have travel insurance booked for the duration of their travels. This is a condition of the employment agreement IEP has with it’s partner organisation in Ireland. IEP can help you book insurance and get great discounts on travel insurance policies!

How do I find out more information?

The best place to find out more is here on the website! We also host information sessions throughout the country and this is a great way to learn more. If you cannot make it to an info session you can give us a call at 0800 700 705, contact us here or find us on Facebook


What happens when I first get to Ireland?

When you first arrive in Ireland you will have your initial accommodation booked at a hostel. You will attend an orientation where we will review all the vital information that will allow you to find work and accommodation.

How do I find a job?

Most of our applicants will wait until they arrive to look for a job, however there is nothing stopping you from staring before you leave.

If you like you can start your job search from Australia. Once we have sent your arrival details to our Irish partner, you will be sent the Work in Ireland handbook which includes an employment directory (great to use as a starting point), a CV guide and cover letter writing guide.

Employers in Ireland usually more geared up to the ‘walk in’ approach so do not be discouraged if you are not able to find something before you depart.

You will have access to plenty of job listings at our inbound centres as well as the assistance from our staff. They will be able to review your CV to make sure it meets the correct format and that there are no grammatical errors. They work with a variety of employers who love hiring our participants.

Career related work is available, but like in Australia it can take a bit longer to find. Our partners in Ireland work with a variety of employment agencies that will be able to assist you in your searches. It is quite common for participants to take a casual job to cover expenses until they find something that is more related to their studies or work experience.

What sort of jobs can I do?

All kinds! It depends on what you want to do and how hard you want to look for employment. Many of our participants find work in the tourism and hospitality industries (for example, in restaurants, pubs and hotels), where Irish employers are willing to offer temporary work. You can also get work experience in a variety of other fields such as science, law, education, commerce or administration.

Where will I live?

You will choose where you want to live. Many participants will base themselves in Dublin as the job prospects are quite good there. Accommodation is readily available and listings can be found on the websites in the handbook and at the Resource Centre.

There are participants on the Work Ireland program from all over the world, so finding a flat mate is a rather easy thing on this program!


Can I travel anywhere in Ireland?

Yes the Ireland Working Holiday Authority allows you to travel anywhere within Ireland!

Can I work in Northern Ireland or the UK?

Unfortunately Northern Ireland, England, Scotland and Wales require a different visa. If one of these countries is what you are looking for IEP can assist with 2 years and 5 year visas here.

Can I visit the UK while in Ireland?

Yes, the working holiday visa for Ireland is multiple entry so you can come and go as you please. If you plan to visit the UK while living in Ireland you will need to ensure you are satisfying UK immigration, this may mean you need an exiting ticket.

Can I travel with my friend/partner?

Yes you can travel with a friend or partner. When you apply for the program, just let us know your travel plans and we will make it happen.

Can I drive in Ireland on my licence?

You can drive in Ireland on your Australian licence for up to 12 months, however if it is recommended that you get a international drivers licence before you leave. It it is best to learn more about the local licensing laws when you arrive in the country.

You can drive in Ireland on your NZ licence for up to 12 months, however if it is recommended that you get a international drivers licence before you leave. It it is best to learn more about the local licensing laws when you arrive in the country.


Do I have to book my flight through STA Travel?

No, it is not a program requirement that you book a flight with STA Travel. We recommend that you speak with our in-house STA Travel agent as she has great flight deals and has a strong knowledge of what kind of ticket you will need to enter Ireland. You can contact STA Travel at 1300 797 702 or email [email protected]

Do I need a return or onward ticket?

You need to either be travelling on a return, or have additional proof of funds to show you can purchase such a ticket. If you are travelling on a one way then you are required to have a a proof of funds of $5,000 AUD

Thought of a question you can’t see an answer for above? If you would like some clarification on anything at all, fill out the form below and we’ll be in touch within 1-2 working days, by phone and email, to answer any questions you might have.

Enquire About Work Ireland