Going overseas can be a pretty overwhelming thing to try and organize. There is so much to know, the visa requirements aren’t super easy to understand and finding someone to answer your questions can be difficult. That’s why, as the US working holiday visa experts, we are here to provide all the information to make your travels stress free! We’ve heard them all so have a read of some of the more common questions below:

If we don’t answer your question here just give us a call on 1300 797 702 or flick us an email here.


What have other people done for work?

Our participants have trained in a wide variety of areas, including:

  • Marketing
  • Social Media
  • Architecture
  • Engineering
  • and many more!

    If you are unsure whether your desired employment position would be allowed under the visa regulations just give us a call at 1300 797 702 or contact us here and we can double check for you!

    Will I get paid?

    That is up to you and your host organisation. Both paid and unpaid training is possible on this program.

    Can IEP help me find a Host Organisation?

    We can definitely provide you with some guidelines to help start your search, but in most cases participants find their own host organisation. You can check out our tips for finding host organisations here, or alternatively we have just opened up a pre-arranged job program for 4-6 month opportunities. You can find more information about our pre-arranged job option here

    Will I make a lot of money?

    That depends on you. The amount of money you make depends on how much you will be working and how you spend your money.

    Can I take an additional job?

    Unfortunately not. The visa you will be on is specific to your training position, and you are not able to take any outside work.

    Where will I live?

    You can live anywhere in the US. NYC, LA, Boston, Hawaii… it’s your choice!

    Do I have to remain at the same job/employer?

    Yes. You must work exclusively with your host organization on this visa.


    What is a DS2019 form?

    The DS-2019 is your work permit. This is the document that legally allows you to work whilst living in the USA and needs to be obtained before you are able to receive your J-1 visa. This is issued by your sponsor after you are deemed eligible by IEP.

    Do I need to attend a US consulate interview?

    Yes. It is a program requirement that you attend a US Consulate Interview, as this is the only way you can get your visa processed. The US Consulates are in Sydney, Melbourne & Perth.


    Can I go with a friend/partner?

    Yes. Travelling with a friend/partner is not a problem. All you need to do is tell us your travel plans and we will book it accordingly.

    Should I be worried about travelling alone?

    No. Many participants travel alone. We have a closed Work USA Facebook group where you can meet your fellow travellers before you leave the country.

    Can I meet other participants before I leave for the US?

    Yes. We have a closed Facebook group where you can meet your fellow participants.

    Can I drive in the US?

    Yes you can, if you have the appropriate licence and have checked the regulations in the state you will be residing.


    Do I have to book with STA Travel?

    No. You do not have to book with STA Travel, but we highly recommend that you speak with STA Travel before you book anything. You can contact them on 1300 850 485 or at [email protected]

    Can I book a one way ticket to the US?

    No. When travelling to the US you must have a onward ticket out of North America.


    How do I apply?

    To apply all you need to do is fill out an online application and then one of our staff will get in touch to get you started on the process!

    How long does the application process take?

    It can take anywhere from 6-10 weeks to process all of the documentation. You can apply early to avoid any stress. Just let us know when you want to travel and we will book everything accordingly.

    Is there someone I can speak to about the program?

    Absolutely! You can give us a call from a landline at 1300 797 702 or contact us here.

    Thought of some questions that aren’t answered above? If you would like some clarification on anything at all, fill out the form below and we’ll be in touch within 1-2 working days, by phone and email, to answer any questions you might have.

    Enquire about Work USA Career Training